Friday 9 May 2008

Dundee Cake


If you feel like a nutty delight.

Dundee Cake
Adapted from McDougall's Better Baking Handbook

150g butter
150g granulated or soft brown sugar
100g self raising flour
100g plain flour
pinch of salt
1 tsp mixed spice (I use cinnamon and nutmeg)
3 eggs
1 tbsp milk (increase it if the batter seems too dry)
around 2 cups of dark chocolate drops and chopped nuts of your choice,
(I use almonds, currants and walnuts, and chocolate is optional)

1. Grease and line an 18cm round tin. And prepare by creaming method.
2. Place the batter in tin and smooth level it.
3. Bake at 180C for half an hour, then lower it to 150C, bake for a further 10-15 minutes before checking with a toothpick. Take it out when your comes out clean.



I doubled the recipe and the yield was two round cake tins, one big cupcake and one small loaf! Also the original recipe calls for 350g of chopped nuts (no chocolate) and a further 50g of almonds for decor. I don't follow, I just throw in handfuls till I feel the batter looks sufficiently lumpy. Also the original recipe calls for a total of 2 hours and 15 minutes of baking (first 1 hour at 180C and the rest at 150C). Maybe its supposed to be a very dry cake but I could never, for the life of me, do it.



1 comment:

aisha said...

hmm, i want to reach into the screen and grab a slice. looks so rich and moist.