Thursday, 7 February 2008

My first loaf of bread



I finally did it... I baked a loaf of bread. I'd been eyeing the famous no-knead bread featured in the NYT for ever and ever, but lacking a cast-iron pot, and not sure whether I should get one because of shoulder problems, I held off. Then I came across another slow-rise, no-knead recipe  in the Washington Post. Using a loaf pan! Perfect.
I used King Arthur's unbleached AP flour and 1 part Indian chapati flour, which I believe is a soft wholewheat (durrum?). 
The loaf was delicious, almost like a french loaf. Reading various tips, I added a bowl of water in the beginning to get a bit of a crust. My only complaint, slightly difficult to slice, but it got easier after I let it rest an hour or so. 

6 comments:

Aamena said...

hmm... texture looks so different from regular bread...

Deborah said...

I'm glad you posted this, because the reason I've never made the regular no knead bread is that I don't have a oven proof container with a lid! Thanks!

media mongol said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
aisha said...

yes, texture is different, more dense and flavorful!

Deborah, glad to be of service. It's definitely worth a try. In fact i'm going to give the NYT one a shot too, once i can score a le crueset on sale!

kattebelletje said...

I made my no-knead bread with a cast iron wok and put a normal lid on. That worked fine! Your bread looks lovely too!

air jordan said...

store true religion jeans
Air Jordans and dropship the latest line of urban wear

and fashion gear air jordan online, Air Jordan

Shoes Air Jordan Wholesale Air Jordan shoes
nfl jersey store nfl jersey store
omega

replica watches
nfl jersey store
replica watches

review

wholesale nfl

jersey
nfl jersey store
nfl jersey store nfl jersey

store nfl jersey storewholesale jordans