I think there can be no one who doesn't like shortbread, so if you feel like indulging... This was just perfect all around. The recipe is damn simple and tastes damn good.
This recipe comes from McDougalls Better Baking Handbook, you will never bake a simpler cookie.
150g (6 oz) plain flour
pinch of salt
50g (2 oz) caster sugar
100g (4 oz) butter
1. Mix the flour, salt and sugar, rub in the butter (I used half part salted and half part unsalted).
Work the mixture to a smooth pliable dough.
2. Divide the dough into two and roll each piece to a 15 cm round and place on a baking sheet. (I used a pizza/pastry roller and directly rolled them out on the baking sheet).
3. Prick all over with a fork.
4. Bake for 35-40 minutes at 160C, 325F.
5. Sprinkle with some extra caster sugar and cut into pieces while still warm.